Saturday, January 25, 2014

How to Deliver a Presentation When You Feel Like Death

Me after being transformed by Ellie
Another transformation photo

A couple of months ago I was invited to present at a 2 day event here in Austin on January 25 - 26, 2014 hosted by an organization call Bossed Up.   Bossed Up was founded by Emilie Aries about a year ago and is based in Washington DC.  It's mission is to empower women to develop happy, healthy, and sustainable careers for life.  

I love Bossed Up's mission and I adore Emilie who is a 2009 graduate of Brown University; she is a fearless woman with a great idea and I got very excited about her vision for Bossed Up. Emilie's goal is to host 12 Bossed Up events in 12 cities in 2014. What's not to love?  I tell this part of the story because after accepting the invitation to speak there was NO WAY I was going to miss it.  Supporting a high performing female entrepreneur? Yes please. Empowering women? Absolutely.  Bottom line, I had to be there today, January 25, to present an hour on negotiation skills.

A few days ago I got sick.  I mean really sick.  Like coughing all night, sneezing through 2 boxes of Kleenex, losing my sense of taste, not eating, and literally lying in bed staring at the wall because that was all I felt like doing.  I never get that sick.  Could be cedar fever or the flu or a cold. My husband told me that if I wasn't better today that he was taking me to the Urgent Care Health Clinic whether I wanted to go or not.  (that means it was bad)

Yesterday I coughed so hard that I burst blood vessels around my right eye and, if you looked closely, it looked like I had a black eye.  That was the icing on the cake.  My lucky husband got to hang out with a sneezing, coughing wife, with an ice pack on her eye.  I looked so hot.  (uh, not really)  

No matter how sick I was I knew missing the presentation was not an option.  I figured that if I could just show up maybe someone could pitch in and help me present in an emergency.  I have hosted events before and when a speaker is a no-show it really messes things up.  If a speaker shows up and is sick people tend to forgive a bit simply because he/she made the effort to be there.  I would rather be there and be sick than not be there and feel guilty.  Plus I have never been so sick that I couldn't rally for an hour.  One time, years ago, I gave a fantastic speech at 8 am after staying out until 5 am. (I worked for a crazy work hard/play hard company.  I don't remember the speech but I was told that it was great.)

Because I knew that the event was being videotaped I decided to hire a professional hair and makeup artist to make me look my best.  If you have never had your hair and makeup professionally done then all I can say is you have no idea how great you can look.  Seriously.  I had hired Ellie Vixie (greatest makeup artist of all time) before I got sick so she was already scheduled and thank goodness.

So Ellie showed up this morning and worked magic.  I mean actual magic.  I don't know if there was human sacrifice involved or if it was good magic but I didn't care. I was transformed from a beast to a beauty.  Several friends had asked to see "before" and "after" photos so enjoy.  There is a reason I put the "after" photos at the top of the blog and not the "before". I recommend that you not allow your children to view the "before" photos because they might be emotionally scarred or start using drugs. Also adults should have at least 2 drinks before viewing.  You have been warned.

PS: Can I just say I have the best husband ever? He literally drove me down to my presentation and sat through it and drove me home because he knew I still am not feeling well today and he wanted to be supportive.  I am one lucky (yet inappropriate) lady.

No I am not stoned. But I did get my thumb in this selfie. 

Is this a mug shot or did I just wash my hair? You decide.



No comments:

Post a Comment