Thursday, December 26, 2013

Defining Inappropriate

Adult + water wings + tiara + kiddie pool on a cruise ship = inappropriate. But good.

in•ap•pro•pri•ate (ˌɪn əˈproʊ pri ɪt) 

adj.
not appropriate; not proper or suitable: an inappropriate dress for the occasion.
[1795–1805]
in`ap•pro′pri•ate•ly, adv.
in`ap•pro′pri•ate•ness, n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved

I declare 2014 to be The Year of Inappropriate.  Why, you ask? Because sometimes the things that we do, say, or think that are defined as inappropriate are what make us who we are. We are all inappropriate in some ways and at some times.  I have found that the things that make my closest friends inappropriate also make them the most endearing, honest, and fun.  So I thought to myself, let's celebrate inappropriate for a year.

People who never show their inappropriate side are usually boring and are certainly no fun at parties.

If you grew up in the South, as I did, behaving appropriately was a very important part of your upbringing. Who defines appropriate behavior? Well, it always seemed to me that the crankiest people defined "appropriate behavior" and were quick to judge anyone who didn't conform to their ideas.  Often the cranky people were also really big hypocrites.  The cranky ladies who said things like "that's not Christian behavior" were often the meanest gossips in town while sometimes the kindest people were the ones who were labeled "weird".

Inappropriate does NOT equal being mean, unkind, or cruel. The way I see "being inappropriate" is just doing what makes you happy without worrying so much about what other people think.  

Example of "good" inappropriate:

Wearing a tiara and/or boa whenever it makes you happy and in places where it wouldn't minimize a solemn occasion. (I, for one, would not wear my tiara or boa to Sunday school or to a funeral but I often wear my tiara to dinner.)

Examples of "bad" inappropriate:

Sharing bigoted comments or jokes in public.

Being deliberately unkind to people who demonstrate an obvious disability, have lots of tattoos/piercings, or are not dressed as nicely as you think they should be for the occasion.  

Sometimes being inappropriate can lead to very good things.  True story.  After I introduced my cousin Carrie to the joys of wearing a tiara she took her tiara to work one day (she owns her own company) and started letting one employee wear the tiara every day.  After one day the employees started a waiting list for the tiara that was two weeks long! Everyone wanted to wear the tiara for a day.

In 2014 I will post my own inappropriate behavior and if any of my friends want to contribute a story or photo to this highly inappropriate blog please let me know. I welcome contributions.

If you haven't played the game "Cards Against Humanity" yet I highly recommend that you gather your inappropriate friends and play.  It is the official game of The Year of Inappropriate.  http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment